Carmelita online

I saw a shirt once that said "Procrastinate now." I like to follow instructions...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Monday, August 07, 2006

Scitech - Science Discovery Centre

Doesn't that sound FUN??!! I really AM a nerd...

I was eating my yoghurt in the car yesterday on the way to Scitech. I volunteer at Scitech as a "sciguide" which means that I walk about the floor and interact with the people there, helping them "discover" stuff about the exhibits... I figured, since its all about science and teaching, that it would be a good thing to get involved with to keep me in touch with teaching science to kids (its actually far more fun teaching stuff to their parents but what can you do)...

The feature exhibition at the moment is called Eaten Alive, I took videos of 2 of the exhibits.



It can be kinda scary for little people when the animals suddenly start moving...



There are themed areas spread out across Scitech, in one area they focus on the brain and tricking it (mostly visual) so they have this cool "perception tunnel" where you're in a tube and there are little lights that spin in circles around you that make it look like the tube is spinning but then as a result of this your eyes send a msg to your brain that tell you that the bridge that you are walking across is actually moving; its sooo hard to walk straight in that thing, I've never been drunk but I think it would feel a bit like that...

They also have these cool pots that spin around... of course they're not just pots, you see that right?



Ps. there is no sound, we bought this digital camera before the days of videos with sound.

6 Comments:

Blogger chndrh said...

oh my lord!
i was a sciguide in high school. i was there for a sports exhibition and we did movie special effects and i got to play with slime and an eating healthy puppet show and of course the iron lung thing that you wander through. is that still there??

good times, good times.

they used to feed us with red raspberry lollies... mmmmm

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 5:43:00 pm  
Blogger caz said...

no the lungs are not there!!! they are thinking of bring that back though coz everyone asks about it... haw i dont get any lollies- no fair!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 6:37:00 pm  
Blogger tash said...

i LOVE scitech!!!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 9:19:00 pm  
Blogger caz said...

so some people have told me that they just look like pots... they arent just pots people- look closer!!

Sunday, August 13, 2006 12:02:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all i can see is spinning pots... do i have a learning difficulty??

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:55:00 am  
Blogger caz said...

haha no learning difficulty (well maybe you do!) but its harder for some people to see it of they are not used to looking outside the square...
try and look not at the pots, but at the space around the pots...

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 10:03:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home